While he looked rusty initially, he gradually found his rhythm back. According to CSK CEO Kasi Viswanathan, the 28-year-old is now all set to be available for CSK’s first match in the IPL against Mumbai Indians on September 19.
“We are very happy with how he has progressed. He is bowling well at the nets and looks to be in good shape. We are confident that he will be fit and ready for our first game,” Viswanathan told TOI from Dubai on Tuesday.
Having recovered from the coronavirus only last week, Chahar started bowling at the nets only from last Friday. With very little preparation time, there were doubts whether he could gain match fitness before the MI game. But the CSK boss allayed those fears. “I can’t say much about team composition but Chahar is very eager to play the first game. We will take a call before the match,” said Viswanathan.
While Chahar is raring to go, middle-order batsman Ruturaj Gaikwad who had also tested positive for Covid-19 just a day after the pacer, continues to remain in quarantine. It was learnt that he is yet to test negative for the virus and therefore not allowed to rejoin the team. This will come as a big blow for CSK as they were expecting Gaikwad to resume practice after the 23-year-old impressed captain MS Dhoni in the brief camp held in Chennai last month.
“The BCCI has strict protocols in place for Covid-positive players and we are adhering to it. Even though Gaikwad is asymptomatic, he has to clear a couple of tests before being certified fit by the BCCI. So we don’t want to rush things and hope he recovers completely before joining the squad,” Viswanathan said.